Skip to main content

polyShrinkWrap

Hi all,

I'd just like to take a moment to flag up the benefits of the polyShrinkWrap plugin which has been infinitely useful for me over the past few hours.

The problem:

You have a mesh that you like the look of (for instance a face that suits the character you're building, but it has bad topology so it's not ideal for use in ZBrush or for animation.)

The Solution: Save the mesh with the good characteristics but the bad topology, copy that mesh, fix the topology then use polyShrinkWrap to 'vacuum form' the mesh with good topology to the mesh with good characteristics. Very accurate, very fast and you're good to go in ZBrush with clean topology.

You can find the plugin here: http://www.kiaran.net/api.html

Happy modelling!

Tom

Comments

  1. Hi Tom

    I saw this being demo'd at Siggraph. Looks pretty interesting. However, you still need to know what flow is correct in the first place. Don't rely too much on automation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alan,

    Spot on, I spent an evening getting the flow and topology right then just used the plugin to reshape the fixed geometry back towards the sculpt I was happy with earlier but that had bad topology. So it doesn't fix toplogy or edge flow or anything it just pulls points around a mesh so I used it to get some of the facial expression back after fixing the geometry as the character who previously had a 'gaze of steel' ended up looking cock-eyed, so it just tweaked it back in making me go YEEESSS! I haven't lost my character during the topology fix at all.

    By the way, I'm really enjoying the US posts – truly fascinating.

    - Tom

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment