Skip to main content

FAO First Years

Hi guys,

Just wanted to make a post to introduce myself a bit. I gave a lecture at the start of your year so you know about me and what I've done. I've been asked to assist mainly with modelling. This is definately the area that I am more fond of, and most of my work has been focused on that. To me, clean models and topology are important, and I come at modelling from that point of view. So to make it a lot easier for me to help you, please post grey scale models and wireframes of your models. The easiest (and best) way of showing wireframes is through this method :

Also to do a pure greyscale model (without having to replace shaders ) tick 'use default material'. Always ensure you aren't using the default Lambert1 shader in your actual final shaders and textures. Keep it default.

Please give Screenshots that will allow me to understand the issues easily, even if it takes multiple screenshots with scribbles and drawings on them. Just so I can understand and help you guys quicker, without needing to ask for more details.

Whilst I am foremost a modeller, I have a pretty generalist skillset when it comes to other areas, and I can help with things such as UV's, texturing, skinning, rigging etc. So if you can't get hold of Simon or Alan, feel free to drop me an email (Jonstewartcg@gmail.com) or make a post with my name in it. I'm more than happy to help.

With regard too your current project, you have Five weeks to produce an environment with a matte painting. I would advise against coming up with huge scenes which will take a lot of props. Plan sensibly, and let your Matte painting do a lot of the work. The best example of this that I can think of is Leo Tsang's Mise én Scene project, the carnival. It looks very detailed, but only consists of a handful of well made props. The Matte Painting is doing a lot of the work, it is extremely well executed.


http://ltsang.blogspot.com/2010/01/carnival-final-scene.html

Pick your battles, and don't feel overwhelmed. As many people stated at the first day lectures, preproduction is key. Five weeks to produce something of this caliber isn't easy, especically if you don't plan well.

To finish, here's my scene from the same project from my first year.


Good luck guys,
Jon.

Comments

  1. Make sure you guys listen to Jon. He's a very talented man :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post, are you all over the CGA blogs or mainly 1st years?

    ReplyDelete
  3. My job is for the First years, but I'm more than happy to continue helping out the other years where needed. You know you can catch me on Skype or ring me if you need help Jack.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Jonny - and welcome aboard! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Phil, i'm very excited. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. it's so nice that you included your own image from this time in your cgaa 'story' - knowing how uber-critical you are about your own modelling, it must pain you a little to put it 'out there' - I think it stands up rather well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It doesn't stand up well at all, Leo destroyed me! As did the other folks in your post, heh. It does pain me, thinking back I wasted more time than I'd care to say on that project. I didn't even have time to texture thing properly. Eugh.

    ReplyDelete
  8. well, you're here now to ensure that history doesn't repeat itself for any one in the current first year... no time wasters please! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah thanks for the kind comments Jon, I'm sure you'll do a great job helping the first years. I remember how nervous we were for this project being our first real test in Maya. Its a big milestone to make, so preparation is key by ensuring you follow the cg pipeline!

    ReplyDelete
  10. or you're in stake of loosing Christmas holydays, or Christmas itself :D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment