Skip to main content

One-a-Day: The Black Heart Gang




The Tale of How from Shy the Sun on Vimeo.

"Nine months of part time work gave birth to The Blackheart Gang’s acclaimed short film,The Tale of How. The Tale of How is the second part of a trilogy of works called The Dodo Trilogy. It is later to be flanked by The Tale of Then and The Tale of When. The Dodo Trilogy, in turn, fits into a much greater work called The Household. In The Tale of How we meet a giant octopus with a tree growing in his head, the terror of the Indian Ocean, OTTO THE MONSTER! His lonely pass-time is to devour the innocent dodo’s who lived on his head. We then see the dodos unite and with the help of a little white mouse, we see them escape the clutches of the terrible be-tentacled tyrant and sail off into the sunset on their mother the tree."

I did previously post this on my blog but I really wanted to share it with everyone, just in case someone hasn't seen it.  This was the first animation I saw that made me know for sure that animation was where I wanted to be.  I found it in a book from the library at UCA called 'Animation in Process'. I highly recommend it! 'The Tale of How' is a little grim but I just love the way it looks and I hope that others will too! Plus, it's set to a charmingly unsettling song : )

Comments

  1. Yes - I love this - it's so wonderfully textural - as rich as a Brian Froud forest! It makes The Nightmare Before Christmas and Corpse Bride seem pretty tame and underwhelming.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment