Skip to main content

CGAA One-A-Day: Sensology


Something truly exhilarating for you! Being a huge admirer of Norman Mclaren and abstract animation generally, Michel Gagne's transcription of Paul Plimley's improvised piano pieces knocked me on my arse.

"I've wanted to do an abstract animated film ever since I discovered the work of Oscar Fischinger, Norman Mclaren, Kandinsky, Yves Tanguy and many others. I knew that Paul's music, was the perfect catalyst to get started on such a project. The creation of this film was a true spiritual and artistic journey. Sometimes, I felt like I was channeling the images. I did no storyboards and virtually no preliminary work. I animated in a stream of consciousness, one frame at a time at a rate of 30 frames per second. The shapes revealed themselves as I listened to the music over and over again. The process was intensely focused and required large amount of concentration. I was becoming part of the music and expressing my creativity at its rawest and most primal. Like Kandinski tought us, every shape and sound has a equal vibration in the soul. When Paul Plimley saw a portion of the film for the first time, he said to me with tears in his eyes, "It's like you read my soul."

Sensology was handdrawn (painted) with a Wacom tablet at first, and later, a Cintiq, using Adobe Photoshop. The drawings and frames were then composited and manipulated in a 2D software called Animo. There is no vector animation at any point in the film..." Michel Gagne


Comments

  1. That was pretty interesting, the animation is amazing but i didn't think too much of the music... there's improvisation and then theres attempting to break an instrument!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was amazing! I really thought the music was coming into life :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment