Skip to main content

Maya Error and fix found

When doing the the blend-shapes on the character tutorial for the 2nd year I came across an unexpected error, when trying to open 'All Inputs', it came up an error, and it just wouldnt open. As shown in the picture:


Inputs List:


Error:


Knowing if I couldnt sort out this error I could not progress on the tutorial, i did a quick research on internet and found out that in maya 2011 hotfix3 ( the version I am using) it has a bug.  
( for easy solution I will post directly the solution from the website I found)

Maya goes over a list of items to add, but is told to skip an item called SEPARATOR; doing so messes up the list count and now Maya goes from list item 0 to 2 directly, and can’t find row1. This only happens if you have layers in the scene. The solution is to remove SEPARATOR from the list, which is pretty simple:

Quit Maya

In scripts/others/detachHistoryTable.mel

change
tokenize$all$list );
 
$n size$list );
to
tokenize$all$list );
 
string $items2remove[] {"SEPARATOR"};
 
$list stringArrayRemove($items2remove$list);
 
$n size$list );


restart Maya.

Please note that you make changes to Maya’s mel scripts at your own risk. If you’re not comfortable making such changes, and if you do not understand what the above does, then please don’t do it. I have only briefly tested this fix; there may be situations where it does not work." 


I have to say it worked for me, however on the safe side I have made a duplicate of the MEL File I was about to change. so even if you mess up the file you using you wont have to reinstall maya to make it work

I though I could share the error and the fix, If any of you find the same error in any of your CG adventures!

Source: 
http://area.autodesk.com/forum/autodesk-maya/rigging/major-problem-deformation-order/page-last/

Comments

  1. Nice find Ruben, though I must say that I never ran into these problems in 2011...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, I had this problem last week when doing some character blend shapes, had to use this script too. There are a couple of things like this in 2011, but most have easy fixes like this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even after hotfix 3 not many things are sorted.... really buggy this 2011 :S

    ReplyDelete
  4. You'll also find, depending on which operating system you're on, 2011 can play up. For instance, when I use 2011 on my vista pc, it sticks its middle finger up at me, however on windows7 I have no worries (yet)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment