Skip to main content

The Supplement: George Kamitani, Odin Sphere



Sorry if this wouldn't technically fall into 'the supplement', I wasn't sure how to label it.


Odin Sphere is a Japanese RPG on the Playstation 2, in which, the player controls 5 different characters that are all connected by the plot. Although it doesn't sound particularly special, it's a game that I want to share because it's visually lovely and it really feels like you're playing a living illustration. The art director was Vanillaware's George Kamitani, with the help of Shigatake, and it really feels like everything fits together, no matter what zone the characters are from. Also, with all this talk of character design, I thought that it has some pretty nice stuff to show:

Early Designs:
Final Character Designs:










(Odin)







Belial
Wagner



Character Concept Art:






Environment Concept Art:














Gameplay video (It's pretty long so skip through it, there's lots of nice stuff to see):


Hopefully this has something for everyone, even if it isn't really your cup of tea. I just thought it's a nice example for the argument of graphics vs. aesthetics, plus, I just love it :)

Also, sorry if this felt a little like spam, I wasn't sure what to include, so I included everything :D

Comments

  1. Thanks for sharing, Molly :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. No probs! I was really worried it was a bit too big but I'm sure someone will find it useful :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really? Other than the human characters, it looks pretty unique if you ask me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For me it's the eyes. It seems to be more the feminine characters.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks very primitive. Not just because of manga style, because I've seen some really good games like that and eyes is not the worst thing, but more because of that very typical asian fantasy style. Gothic lolitas and crap like that... Burnt out colours... Absolutely random clashes of the style... not cool, not cool at all. :DD

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment